- Posted: September 25, 2018
- Category: Pender County
Pender County Updates 9-25
PENDER COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF
Disaster Food Stamp Applications will be Accepted at
Pender County Agricultural Building
801 S. Walker St.
Burgaw, NC 28425
On the following dates:
Friday, September 28th 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Saturday, September 29th 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Monday, October 1st 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Tuesday, October 2nd 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Wednesday, October 3rd 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Thursday, October 4th 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Friday, October 5th 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Saturday, October 6th 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
All current Food Stamp recipients do not need to apply, replacement benefits of 60% and supplements will be placed automatically on your EBT card. Replacement of FNS benefits will be placed on current recipients EBT card Thursday, Sept. 27
Nonprofit Houses of Worship in North Carolina Now Eligible to Apply for FEMA Public Assistance in the wake of Hurricane Florence
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Public Assistance Program provides supplemental assistance to states, tribes, and local governmental entities, as well as certain private nonprofit (PNP) organizations. These PNP organizations and public entities, also known as applicants, may receive reimbursement funds to supplement the damages they incurred as a
direct result of Florence.
1) Under a new rule in Public Assistance, Houses of Worship (HOW) may be eligible, provided the HOW has been granted tax exemption under Sections 501(c), (d), or (e) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954, or though the North Carolina Secretary of State.
2) The State of North Carolina has been granted a Federal Declaration for the FEMA Public Assistance program due to the devastation of Hurricane Florence.
3) To be considered for the FEMA PA program, HOW must fully demonstrate their history of providing activities to pursue items of mutual interest or concern or social engagement in their community and open to the general public, without regard to their secular or religious nature.
4) Facilities established or primarily used for political, athletic, recreational, vocational, or academic training, conferences, or similar activities are not eligible.
5) The eligible categories of work include debris removal & monitoring operations, emergency protective measures, buildings, content & equipment, roads & bridges, water control facilities, utilities, parks/recreation facilities and other eligible owned and maintained facilities.
A House of Worship that meets the aforementioned requirements may be eligible for reimbursement of their costs under the FEMA Public Assistance program. As with any noncritical PNP, and before seeking funds from the FEMA PA program, Houses of Worship must first apply to the Small Business Administration (SBA) to seek a low-interest loan to financially address their disaster-related needs. If no loan in granted, or not enough of a loan is allowed by the SBA, the HOW may then pursue reimbursement funding under FEMA PA.
CFR Citations needed?
Pursuant to 42 U.S.C. § 5172(a)(3), private nonprofit facilities that do not provide critical services must apply to the Small Business Administration (SBA) for disaster loans and either (1) be determined ineligible for such a loan or (2) have obtained such a loan in the maximum amount for which the SBA determines the facility is eligible.
The Department of Insurance will be hosting an Insurance Camp where citizens of Pender County can come to get information, file claims, and ask questions of insurance carriers in the wake of Hurricane Florence. The Camp will be located at the Lowe’s Home Improvement Center, 106 Wilkes Lane E, Hampstead on Thursday, September 27 from 9:00 am – 6:00 pm. Numerous insurance companies as well as the Department of Insurance will be on hand to assist.
We encourage you to share this with anyone who may benefit from our services.
Marcia Kelly | Regional Director – Coastal Southeast
N.C. Department of Insurance
2709 Market Street, Suite 101
Wilmington, NC 28403
Pender County Agricultural Extension is offering free hay and feed available in Burgaw at Rooks’ Lawn and Garden Center, 1501 Hwy 53, Burgaw NC and at the Castle Hayne Research Station, 3800 Castle Hayne Rd, Castle Hayne, NC.
There are 10 round hay bales available at Rook’s too.